It’s been nearly fifteen years since Facebook was introduced to the world, ushering in the modern era of digital communication. Social media is now a central part of the way people share ideas with each other.
With so many social media trends to keep track of, it’s hard to stay on top of it all. Here are 27 facts that will get you up to date with what matters for social media in 2017.
1. More than 8,000 photos are shared on Snapchat per second.
2. 32% of teenagers consider Instagram to be the most important social network.
3. Contrary to popular belief, tweets without hashtags get more engagement than tweets with hashtags.
4. When it comes to Instagram, photos showing faces get 38% more likes than photos without faces.
5. 71% of users on Pinterest are female.
6. There are approximately 81 million fake Facebook accounts. Be careful!
7. 52% of Snapchat users are under 25 years old.
8. More than 95 million photos and videos are posted to Instagram every day.
9. Infographics get more shares than any other form of social media content.
10. Promoted tweets get more engagement than traditional banner ads.
11. As of 2015, 90% of young adults use social media.
12. 35% of active Instagram users visit the app multiple times per day.
13. 78% of people who complain to a brand on Twitter expect a response within one hour.
14. Less than 25% of Twitter accounts are currently active.
15. Facebook mobile ads get 9x more click-throughs than standard web ads do.
16. Pinterest drives 25% of all retail website referral traffic.
17. The average LinkedIn user spends 17 minutes on the site per month. That’s way less than most other social networks.
18. Facebook has more than one billion daily active users.
19. Half of all YouTube views are now happening on mobile devices.
20. Pizza is more popular than any other food when it comes to being included in Instagram posts.
21. 90% of Instagram users are under the age of 35.
22. Link clicks account for 92% of all Twitter content engagement. If you want engagement for your tweet, include a link.
23. 22% of the world’s total population uses Facebook. That number is still growing.
24. 93% of Pinterest members use the site to plan or make purchases.
25. 80% of social media usage happens on mobile devices.
26. Social media advertising budgets in the U.S. doubled between 2014 and 2016.
27. YouTube reaches more 18-35 year olds than any cable network in the United States.
Put These Ideas Into Practice
Some people say that knowledge is power. The truth is, ideas by themselves do not accomplish anything. You have to take what you learn and act upon it to get great results.
Don’t let these facts fade into memory. Act now to apply what you’ve learned in your next social media marketing campaigns. If you do, you will build a larger and more engaged audience for your brand.
About the Author
Jason Healey is the author of From Ranking to Revenue: A Business Owner’s Guide to Successful Search Engine Optimization with a focus on helping businesses generate measurable revenue from the Internet. Jason Healey is Founder and President of J2H Digital Marketing Agency. Since 2013, Jason has advised over 100 small businesses throughout the US on their search engine optimization strategy and execution. Jason is an Online Certified Marketing Professional (OCMP), Certified SEO Expert from MarketMotive and has a professional certification in Digital Media & Marketing from Duke University.